Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blueberries

Every year I get excited when we start to plant food in the garden. Recently we choose to plant blueberries. Blueberries are very sweet when properly ripened and grow abundantly in North America. I think it’s amazing to grow organic products right in your own backyard. It just goes to show you don’t have to use chemicals to get something to turn out great.

Blueberries are flowering plants with a flared crown at the end. Blueberries are one of the few things native to North America. Native Americans used the berries, leaves and roots for medical purposes. The fruit was also commonly used for fabric dyes in clothing.

During the growing process they are pale greenish at first, then reddish-purple and finally indigo upon ripening. The bushes typically bear fruit from May through June but peaks in July, which is National Blueberry Month. Blueberries used to be picked by hand until the invention of the blueberry rake by Abijah Tabbutt of Maine in 1822. The blueberry is Maine’s state berry, where twenty five percent of blueberries come from every year.

I can’t wait till they’re ready for picking, then I can experiment with them.



1 comment:

Thip said...

Hi Dylan,

I can't believe you're just 16 yrs old--you're so into the food industry. Although you'll have a long way to go on, but your start is already give you an advantage in your career. :)
Taking about food photography, I'm not a professional. However, I've learn some basic techniques to keep my photos look good. For example, lightning, styling and editing. I don't use light box as it doesn't look natural to me. I like natural light--it makes my photos look more appeticing.
For the camera, I use Nikon D70 with kit len for food photography and I use telephoto len for outdoor photography.